Welcome to edition 216 of Insider Weekends. Insider buying increased last week with insiders buying $113.26 million of stock compared to $60.16 million in the week prior. Selling on the other hand declined with insiders selling $961.05 million of stock last week compared to $1.34 billion in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week dropped down to 8.49. In other words, insiders sold more than 8 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares favorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 22.36. We are calculating an adjusted ratio by removing transactions by funds and companies and trying as best as possible only to retain information about insiders and 10% owners who are not funds or companies.
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Tile Shop Holdings, Inc. (TTS): $11.09
Shares of this retailer and manufacturer of stone tiles were acquired by 5 insiders:
- Director Peter H. Kamin acquired 290,187 shares, paying $10.00 per share for a total amount of $2.9 million. Mr. Kamin increased his stake by 326.52% to 379,059 shares with this purchase. 200,000 of these shares were purchased indirectly by various entities.
- Director Adam L. Suttin acquired 50,000 shares, paying $10.02 per share for a total amount of $501,124. Mr. Suttin increased his stake by 12.39% to 453,489 shares with this purchase.
- Director William E. Watts acquired 40,000 shares, paying $9.96 per share for a total amount of $398,400. Mr. Watts increased his stake by 14.30% to 319,814 shares with this purchase.
- Director Peter J. Jacullo III acquired 35,000 shares, paying $9.92 per share for a total amount of $347,050. Mr. Jacullo increased his stake by 64.08% to 89,619 shares with this purchase.
- Director Todd Krasnow acquired 22,500 shares, paying $10.05 per share for a total amount of $226,212. Mr. Krasnow increased his stake by 15.09% to 171,586 shares with this purchase. 10,000 of these shares were purchased indirectly through a trust and 2,500 shares were purchased indirectly by Mr. Krasnow’s spouse.