Vivian Lewis - Comments
Editor and founder of Global-Investing.com
Contributor's Links: Global Investing

Vivian Lewis is editor and founder of Global-Investing.com, the daily blog newsletter for Americans and others seeking to internationalize their portfolios. She brings unique experience and competence to the business of picking foreign stocks.

After graduating from Harvard magna cum ... more

The Pot Calls The Kettle Black

I like because I wrote it.

Statistics Lesson

me neither. but the book is out

In this article: BP, NOK, NVS, VOD, ESALY, NPSNY, OROCF, TEVA, MNILY, AVLIF, AGC, EXG, JOF, PDI
Statistics Lesson

ad for Casey posted on talkmarkets letter to me yesterday so I reacted

Statistics Lesson

do I want to share a page with Dough Casey? I am the child of immigrants of a different language, religion and culture to that of the US mainstream. Of course had they not left Nazi Germany when they did my parents would have been killed and I wouldn't be here. But to limit migration to people called Casey who want to better themselves would also exclude religious refugees like my mom and dad; people who had helped the USA in Vietnam who feared being killed by the Communist takeover; Cuban refugees from Castroland; Russian amd East European Jews banned from studies or jobs under Stalin and his allies. If you only allow Christians with white skin who speak English already, who can find jobs or start companies now, are you going to ask the offspring of these other groups to return to their ancestors" homelands? What will Mr Casey do about the native Americans who were here before the Caseys disembarked?

Stock Of The Week: Applied Materials

videos waste time and cannot be accessed when you are on the road

In this video: AMAT
Stock Of The Week: Applied Materials

videos waste time

In this video: AMAT
The World’s Weird Self-Organizing Economy

Moon Kil Woong is right about the need to have a storage system for intermittant power like solar or wind. The sun doesn't shine for 24 hours and the wind doesn't always blow. I have a stock for this but it is a long-shot, a geothermal company from Nevada which also is developing storage systems, Ormat, ORA. It is not a global-investing.com pick because it is a US firm, and moreover its share has been beaten down over the volcanic eruption in Hawaii just down the road from its shut-in geothermal power plant. I take a long view.

The World’s Weird Self-Organizing Economy

there are circumstances in hot developing countries where solar energy off the grid doesn't require subsidies. Where the background is right the same is true of wind power or tidal energy. In places like Iceland and Kenya geothermal power makes sense. It is wrong to assume that these alternatives to oil and gas won't grow more important. And I happen to think nuclear power also often is a suitable option.

We Called It: Benitec Common Stock Up 104.5%; Warrants Doubled

dear Susan

I think there is a good chance its science will work out given the quality of its backers. but of course

you never know!